Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Coffee and Snacky Food Tour with Dad: Part 1


After much research on Chowhound, I was ready to start my jam-packed 48 hour food tour with my dad. We focused on coffee and snacky-stuff. Unfortunately we didn't make it to every place on my list. Here's the list, for reference:

Coffee:
Blue Bottle
Philz (original location)
Ritual (or Four Barrel?)
Local123 (Berkeley)
Cole Coffee (Berkeley)

Snacky Treats:
Boccalone (and other Ferry Building spots)
Miette (Hayes Valley)
Mission Pie
Tartine
Creme Brulee Cart
Humphrey Slocombs
Bakesale Betties for fried chicken sandwich (Oakland)
Ici (Berkeley)
Lush Gelato (Berkeley)

Dinner:
SPQR, Sozai, or Berretta (Day 1)
Dopo or Wood Tavern (Day 2)

We started at Local 123, a new cafe in my neighborhood, for a couple of drip Flying Goat coffees with owners Freida and Katy, who I've been bragging to my dad about for months. I had my favorite Guatemala blend, Finca San Jose Ocana, bright and clean, my favorite way to start the morning. (My first cup of this is what made me first fall in love with this place). We also got a cup of the Sumatra and the Boa Sorte. I prefer the latter for its tang. We drank our coffee with Local 123's homemade carrott nut muffin, an egg sandwich on their homemade scone, and a cranberry morning bun. I just heard they source their morning buns from Hopkins Bakery, a pleasant surprise near Monterey Market in North Berkeley.








By 9:30 am, we headed for cup #2 at Blue Bottle at the Mint Plaza. We got one Yemen and an Ethiopian Sidamo small Siphon pot. I love the interior of this cafe. Sitting here feels like sitting in my dream kitchen- bright, open, airy, cement floors and stainless steel counters- and of course my dream kitchen will always smell like freshly ground coffee.

Next Stop, the Ferry Building, for more Blue Bottle and other goodies. At Boccalone, we sampled their Salumi cone. It's true, their Mortadella is fantastic. I also especially enjoyed their brown sugar and fennel salami. Also made stops at Cowgirl Creamery and sampled some Cypress Grove Humbolt Fog, and Miette.

1 comment:

  1. hi rae!

    congratulations on your food blog! yum yum!
    miette's looks interesting! i will come back to your site when i have more time to namnam the details. later when i'm at the airport :)

    looks great!
    tk

    ReplyDelete