Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Coffee and Snacky Food Tour with Dad: Part 2

After the Ferry Building, we headed to the Mission straight to Philz for cup #3. Phil gladly made us two cups of something very delicious (adding heavy cream made it even more so) and shared rumors of his new store opening in Berkeley (yay!).
Our next stop was just down the street at Humphrey Slocombe's. I'd been meaning to go there ever since I first heard about their Prosciutto ice cream, made from Boccalone's Tasty Salted Pig Parts. Unfortunately not in the case today, but we did get some fantastic savory flavors, including Salt-N-Peppa and McEvoy Olive Oil. The Jesus Juice, red wine and cola, was a little weird (even for me!) but I loved the other two. Now that I've tried it, I think they're definitely better than BiRite (see below). It's true their flavors aren't as generally accessible as BiRite's and they usually have a smaller selection but that's good for me, I love the weird stuff.













Leaving Humphrey Slocombe's, we drove down Valencia towards Ritual and Four Barrel, just to check them out. By this time, we were entirely coffee'd out, I couldn't believe it! Anyway, Dad liked Four Barrel's layout with the roaster in back, and I spent the time noticing the definitive style of SF's coffeehouses- large open layout w/ concrete floors and unfinished wood. Especially to a foreigner, the look is particularly distinctive- no Corinne Bailey Rae coffeehouse crooner music, electric fireplaces or starbucks loungers in sight.










Finally ready to eat again, we headed for Tartine's. To our dismay, there is no bread on Mondays! And no Banana Cream Tarts either. We made do with Berry bread pudding and an apple pastry, which had a divine crust. And we asked our neighbors if we could take a pic of their Coconut Passionfruit Cake.


























We walked up to BiRite Creamery, stopping by the store to peek at their deli and sample Kyoho grapes, which we decided would make a great ice cream flavor. This trip, I was actually a little disappointed in BiRite. Perhaps the case was a little too cold today or their flavors were a tad too sweet. I got my usual Salted Caramel and Honey Lavender, but after Humphrey Slocombe's, they had a hard time standing up.
Finally dinner time, we aimed for Ino Sushi in the Japantown mall, my absolute favorite sushi place for the way they toast the seaweed on their rolls. This makes their Shishamo handroll with the crispy fish and fresh Kaiware sprouts something to truly crave. Sadly, Ino's closed on Mondays. Instead, we walked into On the Bridge for Japanese comfort food. Also crave-worthy, but for totally different reasons. I got my usual Mentaiko spaghetti. Always delicious. We also tried their seafood spaghetti and a curry pizza that I'm still feeling confused by. Maybe a thinner crispier crust for the crispy seaweed and curry? Japanese curry spaghetti, I totally get but I still think the pizza was a little odd. The good news is Day 2 included some to-die-for pizza at Dopo. Report coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment